How can I make Site2 mirror Site1?

• Author

Site1 is an established site. I have just purchased an additional domain for Site2, pointed all the name servers etc. and set it up as an Alias domain in WPX Hosting.

Is there a way make Site2 mirror/display all of Site1’s content and pages but display Site2’s URL in the address bar?

Back in the day, I used to do this all the time simply by parking the second domain.

I’m not talking about a 301 redirect or domain forwarding, because that would simply redirect to, and display Site1.

I contacted WPX chat support and they told me the only way to make this happen would be to set up Site2 as a regular site then migrate Site1 to Site2 and decommission Site1. That sounds fishy to me.

TheWPX knowledgebasementions a technique using a CNAME but doesn’t say how to do it.

Is this possible? Any insight would be welcome. Cheers.

Jason

• August 5, 2021 at 10:27 pm#3531394

Basically, it is just domain parking. It isn’t much different now than it was back then. That said…

Your issue is that WordPress has a domain in it’s settings. And it is only one domain. So, if I had to guess, even if WordPress sees the incoming traffic from site2, it would redirect to site1 because that’s what’s in it’s settings.

You could clone the whole site and do it that way.

Also, why do it? This seems like a massive duplictae content SEO issue to me.

• August 5, 2021 at 10:27 pm#3531400

Don’t worry. I have no plans to clone the site. That would be overkill. And create duplicate content issues, as you say.

To be honest, I didn’t want to spend a whole lot of time on this. I just came up with a better name for my membership and thought I could implement it quickly, without any drama.

为什么这样做?它回到我的Adwords w的日子hen a relevant display / target URL likehttp://www.thisisexactlywhatyouwant.com/pageconverted a lot better thanhttp://www.generalsite.com/page. I had a bunch of different domain names that I would use for different target audiences, but only one core website that housed all the landing pages. The visitor only ever saw the target URL in the address bar.

Anyhow, no dramas. I’ll park this for now (pun intended). Onto my the next thing.

Thanks for your input.

• August 5, 2021 at 10:27 pm#3531448

Best bet would be to migrate your site1 to site2 if you like that name better and just redirect site1 to site2 to avoid duplicate content issues.

However, if you want to have multiple sites coming from the same site and working with multiple domain names, you could setup a WP Multisite and then point multiple domains inside the multisite to the same site.

Frankly it’s more bother than it’s worth in my mind, but if you want to go that route I could see if I can figure out how I set that up once upon a time. (It’s been a few years and that site isn’t available anymore but probably still have a backup I could look into; there was a plugin I used that let me manage it without too much difficulty though I haven’t used multisite since then so no idea how well it’s been maintained since then.)

• August 5, 2021 at 10:27 pm#3531450

Thanks for your ideas Blaine. Appreciate it. I’ve sidelined it for now.

As you say, reconfiguring to multisite is time-consuming and would so doubt bring up a host of other issues to deal with.

If I do decide to make the switch, I will migrate the site and issue a 301 redirect. Simple is best.

Thanks again,

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.