SiteGround 300 percent price increase?

• Author

Just getting my renewal information from SiteGround. In 2018 I paid $214 for a 3 year hosting package. They are asking $629 to renew a three year Grow Big package! Did I get in on a super slick introductory deal in 2018 or did their prices really go up 300%?

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3526639

Yes. Siteground hooks people with intro pricing, but then it bumps to full price on the first renewal.

One of the reasons I like recommending Cloudways to people now. I mean, Siteground is a great company. But, a lot of people don’t realize that those prices on their site are intro prices and they change. With Cloudways, there is no intro pricing. It just is what it is.

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3526643

Yeah, I eventually figured that out yesterday. Thank you for the response! I had to pull the plug on my initial BMA Project, but I hope to be back at it at some point in the near future. Thank you David!

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3526958

I’m finding this to be a problem with Siteground. It’s not just that the price increases after intro pricing. I’ve experienced a few big price jumps. I’ve considered jumping ship, but don’t want to deal with the hassle of it, but maybe I should.

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3526965

It is quite easy to migrate a website to another host. Definitely nothing to shy away from, really.

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3527281

I used to use A2Hosting and liked them a lot; I signed up for a 3 year contract to get the nice intro price (I knew going in) and when it came close to expiring I just got a new upgraded server with another 3 year contract and migrated all my accounts over to the new server. Second time was a little more expensive than the first but the hardware was a lot better.

At the end of the second term, I went with a VPS server I configured myself at Linode. It’s been pretty good, but I’m thinking of moving to Cloudways for my next project since cPanel got sold and they bumped their price up from annual to monthly and we’re locked in with that right now due to how we’ve separated our projects. (I’m potentially buying one of the memberships, though, and will split it to my own server that doesn’t have the same constraints.)

Question now of course is do I go with Cloudways or go direct with one of the companies they use; I probably won’t want to spend the time keeping the server up to date, but Cloudways does limit what we can do with the server. (I actually just tested an account with them last week while trying to get a Ruby project to work but you can’t install Ruby on a Cloudways instance so that was a non starter.)

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3527294

You definitely have more development stuff going on that I thought you did.

Cloudways is very nice, but yeah, if you need Ruby, that isn’t going to work.

• March 25, 2021 at 9:43 am#3527300

Yeah, we have a bunch of software for authors to help them w/the book production and marketing; this is a project for some new software that we’ve run into some snags. (Got the ruby gem running fine but can’t get it to run from WordPress itself on our current server so was hoping if I set up a new one we’d get around the issue and stop wasting time trying to get it to work. I have zero Ruby experience and the developer I hired doesn’t do the sysadmin stuff, and the guy I hired to figure it out for us got it working for the user, but is as stuck as we are on the webserver instance even though it looks like it operates under the permissions of the user…)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.