Woocommerce vs Shopify

• Author

I’m setting up someones ecommerce store. Do you think it’s better to use thrive themes with woocommerce along with the necessary plugins OR to just use shopify?

Also, for hosting, I was looking at cloudways and I’m really unsure of how it works or which package to choose from. Is this a better fit than siteground? I’ve used siteground for many years.

Premium vs standard? And also, there are many options such as digital ocean, AWS etc and I have no clue what they do and what the difference is. I do feel that it’s cheaper than shared hosting.

Thanks

• October 13, 2021 at 5:15 pm#3533502

I don’t have any experience using Shopify. I don’t have much doubt it will have it’s conveniences over WooCommerce. The big thing with Woo is that it would be directly integrated into your site, so it would all be one and the same. Also obviously less money. But, the tradeoff is that you have to take more responsibility for it working right. It usually does, too. But, with Shopify, it will probably never have an issue. So, there’s just the hassle factor to consider.

If you were to go with Cloudways, I would go with a Vultr High-Frequency server for a WooCommerce site. Or perhaps the Digital Ocean Premium option. But, basically, Cloudways is a middleman that provides the support and the easy control panel. The actual virtual servers are on those other providers. So, that’s why it works the way it does.

Usually, when I am working with clients, I start them on the base level server and then upgrade as needed. It is easy to move sites around, switch servers, etc. So, you’re never stuck with your first choice.

I like Cloudways better than Siteground. More power for your money. But, Siteground is more “all in one” since they offer DNS, email, etc.

• October 13, 2021 at 5:15 pm#3533515

Hey David

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and set up Cloudways. A bit of frustration as I am NOT techie whatsoever but I figured it out. Their support doesn’t seem to be the greatest so far but perhaps I was spoiled with site ground. Anyhow, this seems to be a better-performing hosting solution and way cheaper!

I went with the Vultr High-Frequency server as per your recommendation and I’m using thrive theme builder to build out the site which is super cool and easy to use. They even integrate nicely with woocommerce.

I used your affiliate link so thank you for the recommendation.

• October 13, 2021 at 5:15 pm#3533519

Appreciate it.

If you have any issues with Cloudways, let me know and I can help. Their support is good, but yeah…. Siteground’s is a little better. Siteground is more “newbie” focused than Cloudways. But, those times I’ve had to deal with Cloudways support, I’ve found them to be very responsive.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.